Sunday, March 21, 2010

Excisional Lymph Node Biopsy 3/2/2010


An Excisional Lymph Node Biopsy is where an entire lymph node is removed to determine exactly what kind of cells are present. In my case, the results of this biopsy was Nodular Sclerosing Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

For this procedure, I was completely out with general anesthesia. The procedure was done by Dr. Blaugrund at the Wexford Surgery Center. Advantages to going to the surgery center was that I didn't have to go through extensive bloodwork and pre-surgical physical that is required if I were to go to Allegheny General Hospital (the other location where Dr. Blaugrund works out of). Dr. Blaugrund's only concern with doing the procedure at the surgical center was that my lymph node specimen wouldn't get to the lab that he wanted it to go. To ensure that my lymph node specimen got to the desired pathologists, Dr. Blaugrund hand-carried the specimen himself. Can you imagine Dr. Blaugrund driving his car and my lymph node traveling in the passenger seat? Haha, makes me laugh when I think about it!

My parents and Steve came to the surgery center with me. When we got there we signed in and within minutes I was changing into a hospital gown and getting my IV into my hand. My nurse was so kind and I found out she was a Duquesne Alum! She was sure to answer any of my questions and tried to make me as comfortable as possible with a nice warm blanket. The anesthesiologist and Dr. Blaugrund stopped by to talk to me and my family before the surgery. Before going into the operating room, my anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted something in my IV to minimize my nerves that would make me feel like I had a drink. I took him up on this offer and it worked. I was free of nervous feelings when my family went back in the waiting room and I was wheeled into the OR. When I got to the OR, I was asked to move to the OR table. Once on the table, my anesthesiologist told me I would feel something cold in my IV and the last thing I remember was having an oxygen placed on my face. I WAS OUT.

I woke up in the recovery room where I spent about 30-45 minutes. I was given meds for nausea in my IV so I didn't feel sick at all from the anesthesia. Thank goodness! I was given some ginger ale and crackers and was happy as heck. My mom says I constantly said "I'm so happy" hah, I don't remember this at all. I apparently said it the whole ride home and when I got home too. Before I knew it I was on my way home with a Rx for Vicodin 5/500 Q4H PRN. We stopped at CVS for the Rx and Mom and Dad dropped Steve and I off at the apartment while they got us all Cheesecake Factory. I took a few Vicodin throughout the next few days to prevent any pain. I had minimal to no pain in the area surrounding the incision after surgery. This was mainly due to my nerves being affected in this area and to this day is still numb. I don't mind it to be numb, I'd rather have that than any pain. The doctor said that this is expected with the procedure and warned us of this before surgery. He said that the numbness can persist up to a year.

I got a phone call from Dr. Blaugrund on Friday March 5th with the results of the biopsy. I was diagnosed with Nodular Sclerosing Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Dr. Blaugrund's scheduler set me up with a follow-up appointment with Dr. Blaugrund and also scheduled my first appointment for me with Dr. Stanley Marks. The final appointment with Dr. Blaugrund went well but was a bit sad because I would now be passed onto the oncology docs. Dr. Blaugrund and his staff were incredible to me throughout my diagnosis process and I couldn't ask for any better care. I would recommend anyone to them for any ENT needs. :)

6 comments:

  1. You have such a very strong personality. Keep it up and get well soon.
    sedona tours

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be going through an excisional lymph node biopsy next week. Reading this story of yours at psychiatry.residencypersonalstatements.net stage of my life is really encouraging and mitigating me. I am so grateful to you for your posting of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very important for a student to select the right fellowship program for the future. Some expert is recommending to check over here here for the guidance to choose the Right ERAS Program for Your Fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The area of Teresa's journey with the help of which you can get the better link of the node biopsy. Find the new link and get the better link. You can go with https://surgery.residencypersonalstatements.net/top-10-plastic-surgery-residency-programs and can maintain the deal for the new performance of the life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be happy that the best doctor did your surgery and this minimized the risks as well so all of you need to visit https://internalmedicine.residencypersonalstatements.net/prompts-in-anesthesiology-personal-statement-for-successful-medical-residency once in their lives to understand the needs of the hour of the interview.

    ReplyDelete