Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy 2/24/2010


The FNA biopsy was quick and easy, but rough for me because I hate needles. Since we wanted to get the diagnosis process moving, I went to Dr. Blaugrund's partner, Dr. Srodes, for the procedure at UPMC Passavant Hospital.. Steve came with me and was amazing at keeping me calm. The FNA procedure consists of numbing the swollen lymph node area with a lidocaine injection, then 3 passes of a needle to collect cells that will be transferred onto a slide and read under a microscope.

First off, as a pharmacy student I know wayyyyy to much information. Needle gauges tell how large the hole of the needle is with an inverse relationship between numbers and size. So the bigger the number, the smaller the needle, and the smaller the number, the larger the needle. When the nurse was asking the doctor what needle size he likes to use, the response was needle gauge 21. All I could think at this time was that diabetic needles/any needles we commonly distribute in the pharmacy is either 28 through 31! So this means a nice big needle to collect my cells! Eeek! My heart was pounding!

Dr. Srodes numbed the area and we were ready to start. I asked him what I should expect even though I was numbed. He said I would feel alot of pressure and also asked me if I EVER STUCK A 9V BATTERY IN MY MOUTH!!? hah no, I never did this, but now I know what it would feel like. The biopsy felt like a jolt of electricity down my arm. This sensation was because there were so many nerves in the area and they were bound to be touched by the needle during the procedure. The nurse at the office was great and held my hand through the first needle pass. I was nervous and once again (like w the CT) I broke out into a nervous sweat. The nurse got me a cold paper towel for my forehead and wrist to cool me down before the next two passes and Steve went to the front desk to get me a lollipop :) The slides came out clear from the first pass, so we proceeded w the next two. Before I knew it, the procedure was over and it was only a matter of days for the results.

After the biopsy Steve took me to Panera Bread for lunch and shopping at Ross Park Mall after. We went to Kate Spade and found a bangle that read "HAVE COURAGE" on the inside that Steve bought for me. It's perfect and now goes with me to all of my appointments to remind me to stay strong. After Kate Spade, we made our way to Build-A-Bear and created a bear named "Beary O'Lucky" that Steve bought as well. She's green with shamrocks all over her, we put a green bow on her ear too. The bear doesn't go to the appointments, but is with me at home to help me cope with all the craziness that is now going on in my life. Steve sure knows how to make me happy and get my mind off of things after a long day of needle pokes to the neck. I'm so lucky to have him through all of this.

3 comments:

  1. The student now is giving more priority to Optometry programs and it is now very popular among medical students all over the world. But most of the student doesn’t know the guideline for success. Here https://dental.residencypersonalstatements.net/dental-school-personal-statement-tips/ you will find the experts opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should take more time to build not only your resume if you really want your rheumatology fellowship application to really get noticed. You have to good site to know the fact that we have a lot of experience in developing personal statements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all know that pediatric personal statement is playing a great role on your gastroenterology fellowship application. You can follow the link about gastroenterology fellowship which can help you to reach the goal.

    ReplyDelete