Friday, April 30, 2010

No more hair!!


As I had mentioned in my previous post, my hair started to falling on the 15th day following my first chemo treatment.  As the days went on, more and more hair came out and it was EVERYWHERE.  In my bed, sink, shower, all over the floor...... and it seemed never ending.  When I tried flat ironing my hair, it just came out with each pinch of the iron, when I washed my hair, my hands were coated in strands of hair...  It became so annoying that I was ready to get my head shaved.  I called the salon the following Tuesday after the hair started to fall, unfortunately, the lady who usually shaves heads for the cancer patients was on vacation.. so I had to deal with the hair for another week.. oooh goodness.  While it was bad timing for me, I also think it helped to have to deal with the falling hair for another week so I was completely prepared to get it shaved.  So here goes....

Almost completely gone!!



My wig!


We went to the salon after Steve's classes finished this Tuesday, April 27th.  The lady who shaved my head was soo kind, and definitely knew how I was feeling.. she had breast cancer 3 times, lost her hair 2 times during her treatments, and has been in remission for 10 years.  Such an amazingly strong person.   Knowing that she has been in the same shoes as me helped my attitude so much.  She started shaving from the back of my neck, forward.  As soon as she started to shave my head, the temperature change was amazing.. burrr.  Before I knew it, I was bald!  We then fit my wig (which is sooo much nicer than my real hair will ever be! hah) and I was on my way!  We bought some little head caps so my head stays warm while sleeping and relaxing at home.  It was surprisingly a great feeling to get my head shaved and to be able to have control over one of the many chemo side effects.  Very liberating. :)  PS. I don't have any awkward lumps, bumps, or birthmarks on my head-- just incase you were curious! hah

The lady who cut my hair is also a teacher for The American Cancer Society and National Cosmetology Association's Look Good Feel Better program.  It's a few hour seminar where woman cancer patients have opportunities to learn how to style wigs, style scarves, apply make-up, deal with eyebrow and eyelash loss and other cosmetic side effects of chemotherapy.  The women who attend are given a bag with approximately $200 worth of cosmetics and get to meet other patients who are going through similar situations.  I searched for local sessions and there is one May 17th at the Hillman that I think I'm going to try to attend.  It seems like a really great opportunity for me.. hopefully I can make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment