Wednesday, April 14, 2010

home from chemotx 2

Everything today went well.  I had my appointment for my 2nd chemo today at 8:30am and we were finished around 12:30pm.  Before each chemotherapy, a blood workup is done to make sure my levels aren't dropping too low.  While my blood levels have definitely dropped, most have stayed within the lower limits of normal and no action has to be taken.  Our only concern is that the absolute neutrophil count is dropping below the normal range (2.24-7.68 X10E+9/L).  Before chemo, my absolute neutrophil count was 10.7.  One week after my 1st treatment my count was 3.2, and today, before my 2nd treatment, my count dropped to 1.2.  While this level is below the normal range, the nurse explained that a blood cell booster wouldn't be necessary until the level plummets to 0.5.  Hopefully this won't happen, but we'll keep monitoring the levels before each treatment to determine if I'll need a shot 24h after chemo.  The absolute neutrophil count is an indicator of how susceptible I am of getting sick.  If the levels do drop below 0.5, in addition to the shot, I'll have to be even more careful going to public places and wear a mask to protect myself from germs.
Since I've been home, I took one Zofran for nausea-- no more compazine for me!! (those are out of my apartment completely!) I feel tired and nauseous, but overall I'm doing just fine.  Time for a must-needed nap!! :)

3 comments:

  1. If you want to ensure your application for surgical residency you must do your statement different from others. Our expert is ready for see this. I think you will find your dream writing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now a day’s all rheumatology fellowship programs want a well written personal statement that will convince them. You can visit this helpful link about rheumatology fellowship programs to get chance for your successful life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A personal statement is all about you and your quality and strength. If you want to write ophthalmology fellowship personal statement you must need help from an expert and you can get that from here http://www.rheumatologyfellowship.com/rheumatology-letter-of-recommendation-residency/ check if you want to get a unique paper.

    ReplyDelete