Saturday, April 3, 2010

BREAKING NEWS: I'm allergic to Compazine!!



BREAKING NEWS:  I'm allergic to Compazine!!... and all other Phenothiazines, for that matter.  When I got up Friday morning I just couldn't relax.. it was like my muscles were all very stiff.  Steve suggested that I try to take a bath and that didn't help... It got to the point where I couldn't lay straight without my arms being folded up towards my face with my neck turned to the side, and a swollen tongue that started to obstruct my breathing.  Turns out I was experiencing a adverse effect from the compazine that I took for nausea.......dystonia.  It's a muscular reaction to a drug that is taken that causes tightening or stiffening of the muscules of the eyes, tongue, jaw, neck, back, arms, and legs.  The severity of the spasm can bring on alot of anxiety.  Luckily for me, an antidote is present-- benadryl-- my goodness, a magical drug!! Steve took me to the ER at Mercy Hospital where they placed an IV with benadryl and almost instantly the tense clenching muscle sensation was gone.  THANK GOODNESSSSS!!!  So I caused a little scare and gave my parents an excuse to come spend the afternoon with me in Pittsburgh.  But thanks Steve for getting me to the ER and saving my life  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment